Saturday, November 07, 2009
Dearie dropped a not-so-subtle suggestion that I blog about him :) He's right. Some positive affirmation is in order!
Looking back, I really thank God for letting our paths cross in school and in VCF. We are two very different people - both personality-wise and studies-wise, but we both bonded over a common love for international students! I remember being very impressed with his ability to 'connect' with people from different backgrounds and with different interests. He is a wonderful conversationalist, and more importantly, a good friend who is genuinely interested in getting to know people better. I must say that some of his love for people and his passion for going beyond the superficial to gain insights into souls (motivations, values, dreams, aspirations) has rubbed off on me. I think God used his example to grow my desire to deepen friendships. At first, it was a conscious force of will to set aside time for my classmates and hostel mates, but in time, that turned into a growing desire to get to know them as people outside of functional relationships.
Yes, I love my dearie's relational nature. He's a very good friend not only to me, but to many others as well. And I find myself thanking God for putting in him such a great love for people - one that has inspired and challenged me by example.
Another thing I am thankful for is his good nature. He beams often, and his (cheeky) grin never fails to cheer me up on a bad day. I am thankful for his patience (and courage) with me, even when I am in the foulest of moods and am a ticking emotional time-bomb. He is gentle in his speech and tone. And I know that I can be pretty un-gentle and caustic sometimes with my voice.
Dearie also importantly, keeps me accountable in my walk with God and in the daily out-working of my faith. He challenges me often, to do things I know I should do but do not do. It's incredibly difficult to move me from my complacent daily routine, from my state of inertia, but he tries. Very faithfully, he tries.
I must admit I don't enjoy the cheeky poking/ squeezing/ physical ka-chowing that he does to me, but I know it's all in the name of fun (he says it's his way of showing affection), and I occasionally poke him back so it's cool :) I have learned (the painful way) that along with good conversation, gifts, affirmation and acts of service, there are very (very very) physical ways to express love. Such as hugs. And I know there are times that some of my girl friends would really appreciate hugs.
There are many things that I love about my dearie, but the things I appreciate the most are the fruit of the good work that God is doing in him. He is genuine and sincere in His pursuit of God. He wants to get involved with the work that God is doing :) And I believe God is giving him with opportunites to be exposed to the world, to people outside his natural social circle, so that he can learn and grow and be better prepared for the years of hard work ahead.
We are both sinners. We both stumble each other more often than we should. But with God's help and God's grace, I know that we'll be encouraging and challenging each other to love God and walk in His way for the road ahead. What a blessing it will be to walk the road together with him :)
Haha you know how we always pray for journey mercies at the start of a rough trip? I think he's God's answer to my prayers.
Never fails to make me smile :)
planted @
12:02 AM